To assist with the implementation of these competencies, the Public Health Foundation (PHF) has collected a set of resources and tools for each competency that may be of support to the development of skills and knowledge for performance improvement professionals. Additional information may be found in the Public Health Improvement Resource Center
, a database of resources collected to support public health efforts in performance improvement, including performance management, quality improvement, workforce development, and accreditation preparation.
View this archived webinar
to learn more about the draft Competencies for Performance Improvement Professionals in Public Health, as well as resources to assist with implementation of these competencies.
Competencies for Performance Improvement Professionals in Public Health
- Coordinates development, implementation, and evaluation of a continuous quality improvement plan.
- Collaborates with colleagues for the development, implementation, and evaluation of a performance management system and quality improvement policies and programs.
- Leads development, implementation, the reporting process, and evaluation of an organization-wide performance management system.
- Implements strategies to evaluate the effectiveness and quality of policies, programs, and services.
- Uses evidence (e.g., best practice, literature, model practice) in developing, implementing, evaluating, and improving a performance management system and quality improvement policies and programs.
- Uses evaluation results and the performance management system to improve individual, program, and organizational performance.
- Uses valid and reliable quantitative and qualitative data in the improvement of organizational processes and performance (e.g., data driven decision making).
- Coordinates the use of teams for improvement of organizational processes and performance.
- Uses financial analysis methods (e.g., cost-effectiveness, cost-benefit, cost-utility analysis, and return on investment) for decision making and programmatic prioritization related to performance management and quality improvement.
- Uses information technology systems in accessing, collecting, analyzing, maintaining, and disseminating data and information.
- Ensures continuous improvement of individual, program, and organizational performance through professional development opportunities in performance management and quality improvement.
- Applies performance management and quality improvement practices across programs and the organization.
- Coordinates performance management and quality improvement work to align with organization and community plans, such as the strategic plan, community health improvement plan, communication plan, and all hazards emergency operations plan.
- Assures continuous improvement of the performance management system and quality improvement policies and programs.